Pages

Sunday 9 August 2020

My Quarantine Diary - Days 4 to 8

 

Day 4

Not much new to say about today.  It’s my second workday and just continuing the routine; work upstairs, after work pass time reading, listening to music or watching Netflix in my room, with mealtimes being my only trips downstairs.  It does get me thinking about the people that complain they have to wear masks in the supermarket – oh boo hoo.  Any time I get fed up of wearing a mask (such as 11 hours on a plain which got pretty tiresome) I just think what it’s for, how many lives would have been lost if no one socially distanced and wore masks?  And then the doctors and nurses, working ridiculous shifts wearing full PPE (if they were lucky enough to get it) not just a loosely-fitting fabric mask for half an hour in Tesco.  So I don’t complain about wearing a mask on the few times a day that I see my parents.

 

Rant over.

 

The news continues to suggest uncertainty around when the schools will go back, if the track and trace system is sufficient.  I really hope they will be open when the girls arrive, it would be such a shame if they arrive and we’re in lockdown so all they do is swap a house in one country for a house in another! 

 

Also frustrated waiting for news on my wife’s visa (long story!)  Hopefully not long to go…

 

Day 5

The thing about being in quarantine is that each day tends to resemble the day before, except for the finer points of work.  Still following the same routine, mask and alcohol to go downstairs, stay long enough to eat and talk a bit, then back upstairs.  Yawn…

 

Then there’s the news.  The Scottish schools are expected to start back soon, they’re the priority over the catering industry, but in England, it seems the catering industry is the priority.   I guess it’s because the school start in September in England, so they want to get the economy moving.  Though with the news that Aberdeen is going into lockdown and cases are rising, who knows what’ll happen next week, let alone September!  Fingers crossed.

 

Finally, had a video call with the Brazil crowd; the girls are really excited to travel, bought some new headphones for the plane (honestly can’t remember whether they had headphones available on my flight – I used my own) and new comfortable shoes to travel. 

 

Time for bed now, good night!

 

Day 6

Thursday.  Wake, shower, breakfast, work.  Lunch, work, dinner, tv, reading, bed.  Each step divided by hand sanitisation and wiping down surfaces.  Nearly halfway there!

 

Day 7

Halfway through the quarantine!  Only 7 more days and then I’ll be free!  Presuming COVID cases don’t increase, starting a new lock down, of course…  Fingers crossed!

 

Today I did my paperwork for (re)starting with the UK branch of my company.  After years of Brazilian bureaucracy, it was so much easier!  Instead of CPF, RNE, work booklet etc, I just need my national insurance number.  To sign up for the company health plan, I just need to put my name, date of birth etc on the form, sign and return it.  And I could digitally sign it!  No more going to the office to fill out a dozen forms by hand, each one with my name, my wife’s name, dependents, address, parents all the numbers in existence then signing them so they have it in original ink!  Andy holidays when I want (within the limits, of course) but crucially flexible!  No more blocks of 20, 25 or 10 days, no more collective holiday, just a simple, common sense solution where I’m trusted to make the right decisions for myself!  On Monday, I wrote about feeling institutionalised; now, on Friday, I feel free!

 

Day 8

It’s  Saturday, and I’m now past the halfway point, 6 days to go!  The only problem is that being the weekend, I don’t have work to occupy me, so I worked out a strategy.  Start off lying on my bed listening to a podcast, switch to my office for a bit of sketching, a bit of tv then back to my bedroom to read for a bit.  Swapping room from time to time and a cuppa to keep me going!  And a bit of time looking at cars.  When my quarantine ends and I go to find a house, I’ll need transport so it’s back to the car hunt.  That will use up some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment