Pages

Friday 20 March 2015

My Visit to Mater Dei School

While visiting Pato Branco (Southwest Paraná) I was invited to visit a local school that has a bilingual project.  For many of the students, it was their first contact with a native English speaker and gave them a great opportunity to practise what they had learned and ask questions about my culture.  It was a fun day and one that I won’t forget any time soon!

When each class arrived, they were shy and nervous; I guess embarrassed about potentially making mistakes in front of their classmates (we’ve all been there…)  I briefly introduced myself and invited them to ask me questions. 
"Teacher" for the day!

There were several questions I expected; do you like Brazil?  What do you like about Brazil? What’s your favourite food?  And so on.  Then there were some questions that really made me think about why they were being asked.  “Have you ever been robbed in Brazil?”  The answer, thankfully, is no, and that goes for other countries.  I’ve become accustomed to people in the US saying “oh, but isn’t Brazil dangerous?”, “isn’t there a lot of crime?” (Walk through some ‘interesting’ parts of Oakland, CA, then ask me that) but it was surprising to be asked the question in Pato Branco, which is a small city in the countryside.  It appears to point to a general pessimism that’s can be seen around Brazil – a misguided belief that Brazil cannot compare to other countries such as the USA and countries in Europe.  It would be wrong to say that crime does not exist in Brazil, but as a country as a whole, I don’t think it should be known as a dangerous country and I really hope to see this negative opinion change in my lifetime.

A similar question was “what were you scared of when you first came to Brazil?”  Again, I thought of the motive behind the question; did it reflect the fear of the unknown, the doubts some people always feel when I first go to a new place?  Or was it another slightly downbeat opinion of the country?  I can’t be sure, but I know they didn’t expect my answer.  My first trip to Brazil was in December 2007; I left a cold, wet, rainy England, stopped in Amsterdam (umm, cold?  Maybe, I was in the airport an hour or so, so I can’t say) then had a 9 hour flight to São Paulo.  I knew that December was summer time in Brazil and I was expecting nothing but blue skies and sunshine.  As the plan descended towards São Paulo, all I could see was thick cloud cover.  What was I scared of when I first came to Brazil?  That I’d just taken a 9 hour flight and arrived back in England!

Some of the subjects; my favourite
film, which team I support in England...
Football was a popular theme, which came as no surprise, and invited controversy.  I wore a white Atlético Paranaense shirt, which was already enough to attract comments from the Fanaticos (nickname for the fans of Atlético) and the Coxa fans (some other team from Curitiba…) Of course, not everyone noticed – it doesn’t stand out as much as the red and white striped home shirt would – so the inevitable question of what team I support in Brazil.  My answer tended to drive the class wild!  A large proportion threw their arms up and cheered; a minority put their head in their hands.  If there is anywhere in the world that the term “it’s just a game” does not apply, it’s Brazil!
In the afternoon, came the turn of the younger students.  As they were only about 8 or 9, their English was very basic, so I gave my answers in English and Portuguese (thus making it educational for me too!)  After the nervous, slow pace of questions from the teenagers in the morning, the excited energy of the younger kids came as a surprise! 


What struck me most was the reaction to my answers.  “What’s your favourite colour?” one asked me.  I pointed to the blue sky of the Big Ben mural on the wall and responded “Blue, azul.”  The response was a cheer from the questioner!  I got even bigger cheers when I answered “sweets” when asked if I preferred sweets, fruit or savoury food.  I admit it, I have a sweet tooth! 
But one question bowled me over.  Do I prefer apples or tomatoes?  What possessed them to ask such an obscure question?  Ok…  I’ve never liked tomatoes (except when cooked in a dish, in a sauce etc) so I answered “apples.” 

Well…

You’d have thought Brazil had won the world cup, Disney had announced a new resort in Pato Branco and each of them had won the lottery!  I guess it was the right answer!  I asked the teachers if they knew how anything about it and the answer is a journey into child psychology!  Being children, they of course do not like to eat salad and healthy stuff like that; they’d rather eat the good stuff, like meat, pão de queijo and so on.  So parents hit back by tell them that it’s a fruit; you like apples, bananas and pineapples, why not tomatoes?  Well of course, the kids are too smart to fall for the old tomatoe-is-a-fruit-so-you-must-like-it trick and decided to get the opinion of the visiting Englishman.  Sorry parents, I hope I haven’t set back your efforts too much!  (But I really don’t like tomatoes!!)

When discussing the day with the teachers, they expressed surprise at the questions that were asked.  In the normal lessons, the students overflow with questions about culture and life in the UK and USA and were surprised at how restrained they were.  Our conclusion was that in the hot seat, with the foreigner in front of them and classmates all around, the nerves got to them.  Or maybe they just forgot.


Which brings me to this question: “what are teenagers like in the UK?”  Answer: “pretty much the same as here.”  Faced with a real live German in my German classes at school, I’m sure we’d have come up with the same questions, with the same nerves and the same shy refusals to ask questions to begin with.

Vice director Fabricio, teacher Elisa and myself

No comments:

Post a Comment