Pages

Friday 13 March 2015

Taking Cats to Brazil - Part 3

Chaos, Confusion, Incompetence and Lack of Care


Economy class reaches
its logical conclusion!
So the plane is coming into land, out the window, Miami is creeping ever closer and one of the flight attendants came over to my seat.  I should wait until the end of disembarking and then take Pretzel off the plane.  A wheelchair (???) had been requested to help take the cats to the gate agent (again, ???)  When I pointed out that the cats were supposed to be in the hold, I was told that I was responsible for getting the cats to the gate agent.  Ok, maybe she’s referring to the agent at the arrival gate then.  They can’t seriously expect us to make our way through a busy airport balancing two cat carriers on a wheelchair???

Miss X
The answer came fairly soon that, not they don’t.  Wheelchairs (as is obvious to me) are only for disabled passengers, I was told by a member of the ground crew, getting the cats to the departure gate (yes, departure gate) was my responsibility.  I could get a trolley once I’d left the air bridge.  I’m expected to pay for it?  It’s only about $5…  This response surprised me, after all I had paid $150 apiece to carry the cats.  The flight attendant (I can’t remember her name, but I’ll call her Jane, to make things easier) pointed out to the member of ground crew (I can think of plenty names for her, but they’re not particularly savoury, so let’s call her Miss X, and you can replace the X as you see fit) that the cats were supposed to be in the hold, the fact they were here was American Airlines’ fault.  “Not my problem,” was the sarcastic response.

Still waiting...

So Jane and I headed off the air bridge to speak to a panicking member of gate staff (let’s call him panicky Pete) about how to get the cats across to our gate.  The first problem was that there were no trolleys. Secondly, no one around would use one of the carts to carry them.  Jane again asked Pete to call someone and he responded by shouting that he was doing what he could.  Eventually, Sheila appeared – someone had finally realised that as the cats were supposed to be in the hold, they could be transported to the next plane by the same people that would have taken them had they actually been in the hold.  Crisis averted, but it had taken almost an hour of panic and shirking responsibility until the problem was resolved.  Not the most professional conduct.  Jane was particularly helpful though – if she hadn’t argued our case, we may well have been brushed off, and then would have had further problems when we turned up at the departure gate with the cats.  Jane told use to ask the flight attendant on the next flight to remind the captain that there are animals in the hold (to ensure it is pressurised) and ensure that the cats made it to the plane. 

Our departure gate was some way from the arrivals one, so we had to use escalators and a monorail – that would have been fun with the cats…

The plane was a surprise.  I’d been on some old planes before, but I’m sure this was older than me.  With all the flights I’d been on, I have become over-familiar with the repeated mantra of “luggage must go into the bins wheels first,” which of course only applies if there is space to do so.  The only way it could actually fit was by putting it in sideways – I’ve never seen so little space in a plane used for long haul, international flights.  Then there was the entertainment system: three small screens at the front of each compartment and manual dials for audio channel and volume.  I wonder whether all long haul American Airlines flights have the same low-tech amenities or whether it’s special for the Miami to Curitiba/Porto Alegre route.  The in-flight service wasn’t too great either.  I’ll stop complaining about United, as it turns out they’re ten times better than American (though that isn’t saying much.)




After one of the most boring long haul flights of my life, we arrived in Curitiba – the one positive thing I have to say about American.  It is so much easier being able to fly directly to Curitiba than flying to São Paulo, going through immigration and customs there, then connecting to Curitiba.
Inspection area in Curitiba
Airport
I was surprised to collect my luggage before going through immigration, but this actually worked out quite well for us.  We collected the cats, loaded up some trolleys and headed to the short immigration queue.  (So short in fact – as people only went through as their luggage arrived – that there was no need for separate queues for Brazilians and foreigners.)
Arrival in Curitiba with full food packets

This is the part where I explain why we’re never flying with American Airlines again (sorry, I know I promised that in part 2!)  The food bags for the cats were intact.  You may remember I pointed out that  one of the requirements American has for taking cats in the hold is providing a food and water dish and a packet of food.  Secondly, the water dishes were bone dry.  Knowing how the cats behave when they are stressed, I can’t see them drinking the entire dish dry, let alone catching every last drop.  There was no sign that it had spilled either.  Maybe it evaporated?  If so, they temperature would not be suitable for carrying animals on a 9-hour flight.  Is it just me that thinks that failing to give food (which was on hand in a zip-lock bag) and water in such a long trip is not only a breach of the trust that we placed in the Airline but irresponsible and cruel?


Thankfully the cats were in good health, though thirsty.  When we got them to the hotel and they began to relax.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of the "Taking Cats to Brazil" story, in which our intrepid heroes finally reach the Promised Land...  I mean Pato Branco!

No comments:

Post a Comment